The Steinbach Regional Secondary School Health Clinic is a cooperative partnership of the Hanover School Division, Southern Health-Santé Sud and Steinbach Family Medical. Operating as a satellite extension of Steinbach Family Medical, the on-site Health Clinic is staffed with a full-time Nurse Practitioner (NP).
Nurse practitioners are registered nurses with a master’s or doctoral level education and clinical experience that allows them to diagnose illnesses, treat conditions, prescribe medications, admit patients to hospitals and order diagnostic tests. They offer a range of services and work to complement the services provided by family physicians and other providers.
The Nurse Practitioner serves over 1,700 students at the Steinbach Regional Secondary School, working collaboratively alongside the school’s public health nurse, addictions counselor, dietitian, and mental health worker. Through this innovative approach, the SRSS Health Clinic provides students with a single point of access to a team of health care professionals. By providing accessible care in school, health-related class absences are minimized.
Although primarily directed towards students and staff of the SRSS, clinic services may also be accessed by students who attend other HSD schools, for children in the SRSS Day Care.
Services available to students through the SRSS Health Clinic are similar to a medical clinic with additional supportive disciplines involved. The SRSS Health Clinic facilitates a range of basic health care services, which include:
- Physicals and checkups
- Treatment of minor/acute injuries and illness
- Bloodwork and specimen collection
- Diagnostic testing
- Prescriptions and immunizations
- Counselling for mental health and addictions
- Reproductive health program where individuals can ask questions about healthy sexuality, which may include providing supplies free of charge if the client is choosing to be or is already sexually active.
- Health education and disease prevention
- Referrals to other health professionals or specialists
Hours of Operation
The SRSS Health Clinic will be open all days in which school is in session from 7:45 am to 4:00 pm (closed for lunch).
During school closure, clinic services will not be available at the SRSS; on these days the NP will provide services to students at Steinbach Family Medical.
The SRSS Health Clinic will operate on an appointment schedule. Students can call, or drop in to arrange for an appointment with the NP. In some instances, walk-in appointments may be accommodated.
- SRSS Health Clinic Information Sheet (PDF)
- Nurse Practitioner Association of Manitoba (Website)
- HSD News Release
SRSS Health Clinic Reception – 204.326.6426 (ext. 42331)